The “Smart Boxes” are small applications created by the users. They are used as containers of information with multiple functionalities and are very versatile.
They are created using templates that allow to create new “Smart Boxes”, which incorporate the functionalities required for each type and purpose and may also include scripting code for automatic behaviors of the “Smart Boxes”, such as forms for different phases of a workflow process.
The users access each “Smart Box” according to the permissions and faculties they have over it, and they can send hyperlinks to their content of files and folders by email (see…. “Sending hyperlinks to “Smart Boxes” via email“).A company may only need a single template design for its different areas. In this case one will replicate the template for each area and insert the corresponding “User Group” in the section of the template “Smart Box permissions”. So members of each area of the company will access only the “Smart Boxes” created with the template assigned to them.
Nevertheless, in CIFKM, one or several work environments may also be created for specific “User Groups”. Each one is formed by a set of templates accessible to the “User Groups” in accordance with their corresponding permissions; so that with the templates they may create and share the “Smart Boxes” created with them. The same “Smart Box” template may form part of several work environments simultaneously.
Each “Data Smart Box” is created by any user to enter information about a new matter, a company resource, etc. and share it and interact with others. To do this, the user selects one of the “Smart Box” templates that are available to him, and with it opens the corresponding form to the type of “Smart Box” that he would like to create. He simply has to fill it out and save.The features and configuration of each type of “Smart Box” are determined by the template with which it was created. Therefore, each company should create as many types of “Smart Box” templates as required, each suited to its purpose and made available only to the appropriate users so that these can create with them the “Smart Boxes” that they require.
For each different matter, for each resource of the company, etc. one should create a different “Smart Box” over which only the appropriate users have access or the ability to modify. The number of “Smart Boxes” created does not matter since they are always easy to find by means of meta-data in a database combining filters in the searches.
“Smart Boxes” are very versatile. Some of their typical characteristics are the following:
- Context. “Smart Boxes” can be contextualized by means of attributes.
- Privacy. “Smart Boxes” are only made available to those appropriate “User Groups“, remaining inaccessible to others.
- Permissions. In “Smart Boxes” appropriate “Smart Box Roles shall be assigned to “User Groups” which must access or intervene in them.
- Tracking. “Smart Boxes” by means of “attributes” may have predefined states to indicate the progress of the processes it undergoes.
- Notices and Notifications. “Smart Boxes” can generate automated notices (or manual notices by users) at predefined dates, at events, in actions, or even as a result of the absence of actions during a given period, among other possibilities.
- Notes. “Smart Boxes” may contain notes with or without associated notices and attached files, with indented responses.
- Time and expenses. In the “Smart Boxes” one can record the time spent by users in different activities related to it.
- Links and hyperlinks. In the “Smart Boxes” one can create (copy and paste) internal links to other “Smart Boxes” and hyperlinks to copies, created “ad-hoc”, with the same tree structure of files and folders from “Smart Boxes” that may be sent via email (See….copy and paste).
- Automatisms. “Smart Box” templates may contain code for automatic behaviours of the “Smart Boxes” created with them.
- Encryption. Authorized users (User Role) can encrypt files and determine which other users can decrypt them. This functionality allows the absolute confidentiality of the content of the files. (See…Security and encryption)
- Corporate records. Including the attribute “Registration” in the Smart Box Template, either manually or automatically, some or all of the files in a “Smart Box” may be, either automatically or manually, registered in general or special records of the company as the entry/exit records.
In the basic standard self-installing version of CIFKM, that one may download from this Web site and that is free up to 4 internal users with an unlimited number of free external users, a single work environment has been created for all the users with five types of preconfigured “Smart Box” templates.