Index of this page:
Contents related to the help
CIFKM is an application that covers all the document management and workflow needs of a company, of any type or size. It is parametrizable and customizable to the desired degree and may be adapted to any need.
What are the fundamentals of CIFKM?
Looking back, lets imagine the document management of yesteryear companies when the information was captured in paper. Back then, subject documentation was classified in folders, and these in turn, were placed in one or several filing boxes that were labelled with the corresponding subject so as to be located later. If the subject required certain confidentiality, the boxes were stored in cupboards or in locked spaces, that only authorized people that needed to understand or intervene in the matter could access. If the matter was a process (workflow) in which different people needed to intervene successively, the dossier or parts of it passed from some hands to others returning in the end to the same original box.
In CIFKM, the filing boxes are virtual and intelligent, it is for this reason that we refer to them as “smartbox”. They are small applications that are created by the users within the principal application, and they possess multiple attributes and functionalities and, may also incorporate scripting code for automatic behaviours and responses.
In the standard CIFKM version, the predesigned “smartbox” serve the principal goal of being containers of information. However, they should not be used as though they were hard disk partitions where folders and subfolders are inserted, but rather, one has to create one for each matter or resource so that it contains the information pertaining to it. It doesn´t matter if the number is large, since in the searches one may configure multiple data and attributes as filters.
Thus, a CIFKM “smartbox” may be thought of as a small application that is a container of information and documentation (created with templates by the users). It is classified and qualified with attributes, with files and folders, with links to other “smartbox”, with systems of permissions and assignment of faculties to user groups who may access and/or modify it, with the possibility of sending notifications on the occurrence of events or their non-occurrence (for example, when there is a delay in an event), with the possibility of sending notices, with notes with indented responses, etc., with the possibility of registering the times utilized by each user and the expenses incurred in different parts of the matter, with states, and with many other functionalities.
Also, the “smartbox” may have scripting code incorporated for verifications and automatic behaviours, and may behave as forms of a management application, or the execution of a workflow (cases of CIFKM customization).
The characteristics and configuration of each “smartbox” are determined by the template with which it was created. In the figure on the left (privacy and functionality), we see that there are users who, through membership in groups of users, possess permissions to use the templates and create “smartbox” with them, and that the same or other users, also by virtue of membership in groups, can locate, access and use the elements thus created. In each element, it is determined who can use it and who, also, can administrate it.
All the text contents are indexed, which facilitates their search, since it may be combined with other parameters (attributes, agents, dates, states, etc…)
The principal advantage of the CIFKM “smartbox” is that they are created by means of templates that are designed with much freedom so that each one may contain the components and functionalities required for its destined end. Thus, there may be specific templates for concrete areas of the company, for committees, individual persons, etc. that will only be seen and will only be available to those persons who have to use them to create CIFKM “smartbox”.
All or only some of the components of a CIFKM “smartbox” may be configured in the corresponding template. The application has all the necessary tools for this design, which anyone can carry out with a little training.
In each company, there may exist multiple types of templates. Each one, designed for a different goal, is made available only to those persons who need to use it, for example, those persons who belong to an area of the company (for the others, thetemplate doesn´t exist).
This way, one can design simple templates, to only save documentation, to register contacts and the information related to each of them, to integrate the information and the state of the matter in which several persons collaborate, to constitute the phases of a process, or to serve as a repository of private documentation for external users (customers, providers, etc…)
The templates admit scripting code with algorithms for automatic behaviours. For example, as a function of the type of matter (which may be the value of an attribute), the “smartbox” may:
(1) require from the users to fill out certain specific documentation, (2) determine which persons have access and with which faculties, and (3) determine to who notifications and alerts need to be sent so that they may act or monitor.
The search templates will only be displayed if one accesses with a Web browser, if they have a box that allows for this marked on their template.
The templates, therefore, are the entities that are used to define and configure the specific characteristics of each of the different types of “smartbox” that the organization needs; this may include the configuration of permissions and faculties. Each template is made available to one or several “groups of users” included in it. Thus, the member users of the group, or groups authorized in the template (which may be personal groups consisting of a single user), may view it and use it to create elements of the type corresponding to the template.
In the “permissions” section of each “smartbox”, one or several groups of users are included, along with the element roles they have been assigned, which will determine which faculties the members of the group will have with respect to the “smartbox” (for example: view, modify, eliminate, etc…)
The elements are created with templates that are entities that are used to define and configure the characteristics of each of the types of element that the organization needs. Each template is made available to one or several groups of users via their inclusion in it. Thus, the member users of the group(s), or authorized groups in the template (that may be personal groups of a single member) may view it and use it to create elements of the type corresponding to the template.
In the CIFKM version that is downloaded from the site www.cifkm.com there are 5 types of CIFKM “smartbox” whose corresponding templates are configured when the application is downloaded, to which one has access, either from the CIFKM floating icon, or by means of shortcuts, represented by icons, in the CIFKM desktop. The figure shows the shortcuts in the CIFKM desktop.
These five initial template configurations are the following:
- Matter Template: to register and control work on matters, to monitor them and consult the work performed.
- Documentation Template: to create and maintain a library of clasified information.
- Contact Template: to create and maintain a corporate registry of contacts.
- Template of a private repository of files for clients and employees: it is designed to make available to external users, (for example, certain customers of the company, or employees who normally work outside of the company such as sales representatives, maintenance people,…), files that are common or specific to each one of them, which they may download at their convenience, either from a Web browser or from the “CIFKM mobile” application designed for Android and iPad.
- Contact groups template: designed to be able to send emails to groups of contacts, combine customized documentation in Word, and other functionalities.
Later, one may be able to configure other CIFKM templates, to create other types of “smartbox” with specific characteristics (attributes, links, permissions etc.), to perform element searches adapted to concrete necessities, since the downloaded application doesn´t have any limitations in this respect.
The application has been prepared so that new templates are designed and made available to groups of users. The templates include sections with different characteristics, and may even incorporate scripting code, so that the elements created with them have controls and specific progrmammed behaviours. For example, they may have algorithms to achieve certain behaviours and certain intelligence, for example, if a certain value is assigned to an attribute (that defines a type of matter) certain groups of users may automatically be included in the smartbox, who shall be responsible for it and/or who shall have to deal with the matter.
If you require any type of CIF assistance, for example, to install the application, for long-term maintenance, for guidance of the administrator or the user in the first steps, to get the application up and running in the company, to customize or learn to customize and design element and search templates, for support and training in general, etc., do not hesistate, contact CIF where you may purchase assistance time cupons at http://store.cif.es.
The users create and act on the “smartbox” thus making teamwork easy, since the information is available to persons who need to use it and only to them (privacy) thanks to the permissions system. The information may be incorporated to an element directly by the different users who have access to it, may come partly defined or incorporated to it by the template with which it was created, or it may be information coming from a workflow associated to the element.
There is a great deal of flexibilty in the design, automation and incorporation of intelligence in the “smartbox” templates. Thus CIFKM may be adapated to the document type needs of any company.
CIFKM is an open application, conceived as a platform that may be customized to the desired degree to cover the document type needs of any company.
The “smartbox” are created with the corresponding templates, which one accesses from:
(1) The “New” option of the floating icon menu, which in the initial configuration of menus is assigned to all users (administration of menus); this displays each of the 5 types of “smartbox” (Documentation, Matters, contacts, file repository, and group of contacts). With it, an empty form of the type of “smartbox” that corresponds to the template is created, and in it may be incorporated files, links, permissions, attributes, notifications, etc. When it is saved one will have created the new “smartbox”, that may later be modified by whoever has the faculties to do so, as a function of the permissions marked in the actual “smartbox”.
To be able to use a “smart box” template, the user must be a member of a group of users , for example, group A of the figure, which, in turn, is included in the template window with the “Use” role marked in it.
Upon creation, each CIFKM element must be published in some user group, for example group B of the figure. To publish the “smartbox” user X is creating in group B, he must include this group in the element. To do so, this user must have the “Publisher” role marked in user group B, though he need not be a member of it.
- To upload one or several files or folders from the “PC” to the files section of a “smartbox” (or to one of them if there were several in the “smartbox”), one can use the COPY AND PASTE functions of the files or folders, or the DRAG AND DROP functions. Thus, the files, and if appropriate, the folders (maintaining the structure) will be uploaded to the CIFKM element, but the operation will not have ended until one has SAVED the “smartbox” form with the save button.
- Drag and dropping one or several files or folders of files of the user´s “PC” over the floating icon, the publication wizard will open that will allow one to create a new “smartbox” with the files published in its files section. This wizard displays in its upper panel the shortcuts to the “smartbox” templates in the user´s CIFKM desktop, so that one may select the template one would like to use, and it displays in its lower panel the “My pending documents” window, with the dragged preselected in the list.
- With the “Add new element” button of the upper bar of the “My pending documents” window which one accesses from the floating icon menu. In this case, the publication wizard opens to select files and the element template one would like to use.
The “publication wizard” of CIFKM “smartbox” will appear on the screen in the following cases:
- When drag and dropping files or folders of the “PC” over the CIFKM floating icon. In this case, the files dragged are displayed in the lower panel of the “publication wizard”, preselected.
- With the “Create new element” button of the upper panel of the “My pending documents” window, which one accesses from the floating icon menu.
The “publication wizard” consists of the following parts:
- The uper panel of the window contains two tabs. The one to the left displays the shortcuts to the “smartbox” templates of the user desktop, and the other tab displays the list of “smartbox” templates that are available to the user depending on the permissions that he has been assigned. In the initial installation they both coincide.
- The lower panel of the window displays the files uploaded to “My pending documents”, so that the user may select those he would like to incorporate to the new “smartbox” he is going to create. The last ones that have been dragged over the floating icon appear preselected. More files may be added to this window, by drag and dropping them over it.
Later, once the files have been selected in the lower panel of the window, one double clicks on the icon of the “smartbox” template that corresponds to the element one would like to create, in the upper panel of the window. Alternatively, one may select the template from the list of the tab numbered 2 in the figure below, with a double click on it, or with only one click followed by pressing the “Create “smartbox” button.
If the box: Open window upon adding new files to My pending documents in the figure is marked, one may drag and drop files from the “PC” to “My pending documents” of the floating icon menu, and then the upper panel of the publication wizard will be incorporated to it.
1. Create element Once the following have been selected: (1) the template with only one click over the icon in the list of available templates and (2) the files one would like to publish in a new “smartbox”, with this button, the creation process of the CIFKM element corresponding to the selected template is initiated.
2.Templates in the desktop/available templates. These are two tabs that display, respectively, the desktop templates and the templates available to the user depending on his permissions.
3. Type of publication. There are two options:
- Create a single “smartbox” with the selected template, so that it incorporates all the files selected from the list of the lower panel of the wizard.
- Create a different “smartbox” for each selected file from the list of the lower panel.
4. List of files so that they may be selected. These are the files from “My pending documents” which one accesses from the floating icon menu.